A northern areas flight cancellation to Gilgit, Skardu or Chitral means the airline owes you either the next available seat or a full refund, and you need to decide within the next hour or two whether to wait for that seat or start driving instead. Mountain flights get cancelled for weather more than any other reason, and there is no compensation for that, so the plan that actually protects your trip is built before you fly, not after the cancellation.
This is a short, practical guide to what to do in the moment, and to the buffer-day planning that makes a cancellation cost a day instead of the whole holiday.
| At a glance | |
|---|---|
| Why these flights get cancelled | Cloud, snow or poor visibility at either end, all three airports are fair-weather |
| Your rights | A later flight or full refund of the unused ticket |
| Compensation for weather | None owed |
| Road time if you give up on the flight | About two days from Islamabad to Gilgit or Skardu |
| Worst months for cancellations | December to April |
What to do in the first hour
- Get to the counter or the airline app before the queue does. Ask specifically for the next flight with a free seat, not just the next scheduled flight. In peak season that seat can be two or three days away.
- Decide on the spot: wait, switch airport, or drive. If you're heading to Gilgit and Skardu still has seats, its road joins the Karakoram Highway at Jaglot, a few hours from Gilgit itself.
- Save your cancellation notice and booking reference. You'll need both for a refund claim.
- Tell any connecting airline immediately if you have an onward international flight, rather than hoping the next domestic flight makes it in time.
Your refund and rebooking rights
Under the rules PIA publishes on its air passenger rights page, a cancelled flight entitles you to a choice: re-routing or alternative transport to your destination, or a full refund of the unused ticket. Hotel accommodation is provided where needed. Compensation, separate from a refund, is only due if the airline gave less than 12 hours' notice or failed to take reasonable steps to avoid the cancellation, and weather is generally treated as outside the airline's control. Airblue and AirSial passengers have the same basic protections. None of this compensates you for a lost day of your holiday, which is why the backup plan matters more than the paperwork.
Weighing rebooking against the road
Waiting makes sense if the next seat is within a day and your itinerary has slack. Driving makes more sense once you're looking at two or more days' wait, especially in winter when a single closed window can stretch into a week. From Islamabad, the road to Gilgit or Skardu takes roughly two days each way with a night in Chilas or Besham, so treat it as a real alternative only if you have that much time in hand. Our guides to the Islamabad to Gilgit road and the Islamabad to Skardu road cover both routes, and it's worth checking the current Karakoram Highway road status before you commit, since the same storms that ground flights can also close the road.
Building buffer days in from the start
- Hold at least one spare day at each end of the trip, two in winter, and never book an international connection for the same day you fly out of Gilgit, Skardu or Chitral.
- Book the first flight of the day. Mountain cloud tends to build through the morning, so an early cancellation still leaves time to rebook or set off by road.
- Fly one way and drive the other if losing a day at either end genuinely isn't an option.
- Choose a changeable fare for winter and early spring travel, when cancellations run several days at a time.
Our full guide to Gilgit and Skardu flight cancellations goes into the seasonal pattern behind these delays and how the two airports compare for reliability, and our travel guide explains why we build slack into every itinerary rather than planning to the day.
Chitral: the same problem, fewer options
Chitral's airport is smaller again, with far fewer weekly flights than Gilgit or Skardu, so a cancellation there can mean a longer wait for the next seat. The overland alternative is a long day's drive from Islamabad, mostly through the Lowari Tunnel, and it is worth checking that route's status alongside your flight before you travel in winter.
Is flying still worth the risk?
Yes, for most trips, provided the itinerary can absorb a lost day without unravelling. The alternative to a two-hour flight is two days on the road each way, and for most travellers that trade is worth making even with an occasional cancellation. It stops being worth it when a fixed date, a wedding, an exam, a visa appointment, depends on the flight landing on time; in that case, build in the road time from the start rather than hoping the weather cooperates.
Frequently asked questions
What should I do first if my northern areas flight is cancelled?
Go straight to the counter or app and ask for the next flight with an actual free seat, then decide within the hour whether to wait, try the other airport, or start driving, since that decision gets harder the longer you leave it.
Do I get my money back if the airline cancels?
Yes. You can choose between the next available flight and a full refund of the unused ticket. There is no separate compensation for weather-related cancellations.
How many buffer days should I plan for a flight to the north?
At least one at each end in summer, two in winter and early spring, and never book a same-day international connection after a domestic mountain flight.
Is it faster to drive if my flight is cancelled?
Only if the next available seat is more than a day or two away. The drive itself takes about two days each way from Islamabad to Gilgit or Skardu, so it only pays off once the wait for a flight gets close to that.
Are Chitral flights as reliable as Gilgit or Skardu?
No, they run less often, so a cancellation there can mean a longer wait for the next seat. Check the road status through the Lowari Tunnel as a backup before travelling in winter.